Our marching season doesn't begin on the 1st day of school! We need to be ready to take the field at the 1st football game, which means we need to prepare well before that.
First, we need to have an accurate count of musicians and instruments in order to write and choreograph our marching drill -- every body needs a place and a part, with no holes. Then we start learning the music and the movements. So we begin rehearsals in the summer, and Band Camp is where the show really starts to come together.
SIGN ME UP!
Please complete the registration forms below, and submit online or email to Ms. Marin.
Registration Deadline is May 21, 2020 (Last day of school)
1. Student/Parent must complete & sign pages 1-2 (History).2. Physician must complete & sign pages 3-4 (Evaluation/Exam)*3. Upload fully completed form to Dragonfly MAX. Detailed instructions here.**
*Must be completed by physician after April 15, 2020, to qualify student for all activities for the 2020-21 school year.
**Dragonfly MAX is the system that CCHS requires for ALL Chamblee athletic groups. Uploading your physical here will qualify you for all CCHS athletic teams for the 2020-21 school year.
We'll do our best to keep you updated with what we know about whether we'll have a Marching season and what it will look like.
May 21, 2020 Update
- Today is officially the last day to register for Marching Band. Please submit your Commitment Form by the end of today!
- June practices (Wednesdays, 9-noon) have been cancelled for this summer. That's as far as we can project right now.
- Band Camp is still up in the air. Rock Eagle is currently closed, scheduled to reopen on June 1, but that decision will not be finalized until next week. If/when they do reopen, they will have strict protocols in place. We continue to monitor guidelines from the CDC and Governor Kemp, as well as direction from DCSD. Students' health and safety continues to be our highest priority!
- Neither GHSA nor DCSD have made any decisions yet regarding fall sports. We'll keep watching.
- Ms. Marin and MB staff continue to discuss alternatives for this summer and the season, as circumstances may allow. We'll keep you posted!
April 22, 2020 Update
The first big question is....will we even HAVE Marching Band next year?
We all want to know! There are a number of different ways things could play out: from only virtual school, to regular school but no fall sports, to full back-to-normal activities. We simply do not know at this point, but we have to make decisions as if we do!
So we have decided - Ms. Marin, together with band staff and the booster board - to move forward with plans as though we will have a full season next year. We will make adjustments as necessary as we go.
So the next big question is: IF there is a Marching Band next year, do YOU want to be a part of it?
When we need to know and why: Marching Band requires a lot of planning before our season actually begins. One of the earliest requirements is writing the actual drill (choreography): how many bodies will be on the field, where students will stand and move, and the parts they will play. For this, we must have an accurate headcount, so that drives our earliest deadline. We need to know if you intend to be part of Marching Band by Thursday, May 21(the original last day of school).
We must have a cutoff date for registration, even though everything else feels so fluid right now. We simply cannot make plans for a set number of people, only to be way off if students decide to join or drop later. And as a reminder, attendance at Band Camp is mandatory for participation in Marching Band. (More on that below.)
That said, we understand your concerns for students' health and safety, and that is our highest priority. We recognize that some students may have conditions that put them at higher risk, and those students (or parents) may be more hesitant to commit at this point. We would love to have the maximum participation possible from each student, as they are able. If your situation requires unique consideration, please reach out directly to Ms. Marin to discuss.
What about Band Camp?
CCHS Band Camp has been at Rock Eagle for years, and we want to be able to continue that tradition. It is a unique experience, forging community over the course of a week in a way that a day camp at school cannot do. At this point, we are hopeful that we will still be able to go to Rock Eagle.
Rock Eagle is currently closed through May 31, and the facility management is working on new protocols to protect guests when they do reopen. Of course, that May 31 date is fluid like everything else. Our reservation for the week of July 20-24 still stands, and we are not at risk of losing our deposit, if we should need to change our plans. We will monitor that situation closely and share information with you as it becomes available.
As we approach the time for camp, if circumstances or school policies require us to abandon our plans for staying at Rock Eagle, we will consider alternate plans for a Band Camp, such as a local day camp. That week of practice and training is crucial to preparing for our show season, and we'll do what we can to make it fun, productive and SAFE. Please keep that week blocked (July 20-24) and plan to attend, whatever it looks like.
The final big question: COST
We hear you! The economic impact of COVID-19 has hit many of us hard. The Marching Band fees are not insignificant, and no one wants to spend money to participate in something that might not happen.
So let us be very transparent. IF our marching season gets cancelled due to COVID-19, we WILL REFUND as much of your fees as we possibly can. How much will depend on where we are in the season, and what costs may have already been incurred. But Marching Band is only one of many fall sports at CCHS; we expect that DCSD and GHSA will have to announce decisions regarding seasons, schedules and practices as soon as possible this summer.
...What costs are at risk?
- The first up-front cost is the drill, professionally written for our band's unique makeup for this upcoming year. The deposit on that would be paid in June and would be our first non-refundable cost.
- The next (and biggest) chunk is Band Camp at the end of July. Our band fees cover a week of food, lodging and activities at Rock Eagle, along with professional instructors for each section. If we don't go, or if we have to adapt to a day camp, we should be able to refund those costs or differences. And we should have a pretty clear direction for the season before Band Camp, as it's only a few weeks from the start of school.
- The rest of the fees cover T-shirts, meals on game days, uniform maintenance and cleaning, transportation, instructor fees, and associated costs. Again, we should know before the start of school if any of this will happen or not.
We respect your investment in Marching Band and thank you for your trust. We encourage you to pay your fees as scheduled, so that we can proceed both optimistically and cautiously. (The fee details and suggested payment schedule can be found here.) If you need to discuss alternate payment plans for your fees, please reach out to Ms. Marin or our Treasurer Lis Johnson.
We're in this together.
So let's move forward towards a great season for 2020. All of the registration forms are available on the website at cchs.band/mb2020. The most critical is the Commitment Form, which must be submitted by May 21, 2020. All forms can be completed online this year and submitted with a click! Or you can still print old-school and mail, if you like stamps. :-)
We hope that this transparency will give you confidence to move forward with your commitment to Marching Band for 2020. We will keep you up-to-date, and reach out as soon as we know anything more.
Audition Rehearsal Schedule(APRIL-MAY)
Color Guard Clinic: Mon-Wed, April 20-22, 2020Find out more about Color Guard and take a spin with the flags.
Percussion Auditions: Mon-Wed, April 20-22, 2020Try out for the drumline and pit percussion for next year's band.
Dance Team Auditions: April 27-30, 2020Try out for the Golden Gems Dance Team.
Rookie Camp: Mon-Fri, May 11-15, 2020For all NEW marching band members. Learn to march, play some stunes, and meet the community. No commitment necessary!
Fall Rehearsal ScheduleSchool starts on Monday, August 3, and regular practices begin on that date.
After School Rehearsals:
- Mondays, 4:00-6:30 pm
- Tuesdays, 4:00-6:30 pm
- Wednesdays, 4:00-6:30 pm
- Thursdays, 4:30-7:30 pm
Friday Night Games:
- Stay at school from afternoon dismissal through the game. (Dinner will be provided.)
- No Friday game = NO practice. Go home at dismissal time on those Fridays.
Saturday Night Games:
- Call time to be determined.
- Dinner will NOT be provided.
Total MB Fees for Instrumentalists are $650.
These non-refundable fees cover nearly all costs of participation in marching band, including:* A professional score and drill for our halftime show * 5 days/4 nights of Band Camp at Rock Eagle * Professional sectional instructors for camp and practices * Band T-shirt & hat * Uniform rental, cleaning * Transportation to specific away games and competitions * Meals before Friday night football games * Band Banquet (student ticket)
Please note:* Marching shoes must be purchased separately and are not covered by these fees. * Dance Team and Color Guard fees are determined each year and are a different amount based upon the unique needs of those teams.
A $25 sibling discount can be applied to a second or third child in the same family participating in marching band during the 2019-20 school year. (Total discount of $50/family for 2 students, $75 for 3 students.)
Marching Bulldogs Show T-Shirt 2020-2021(Show artwork on back to be revealed at Band Camp.)
Show your spirit with the band this season! Want an extra tee for mom or dad to wear to games? Maybe you need an extra for that Friday when the laundry didn't get done? (Yeah, it happens.)
We will have a limited stock of extra shirts for sale. Order yours now to ensure you get the right size before they run out.
T-shirts are available for $15, in unisex sizes Small-2XL ($17 for 2XL).
All instrumentalists need to purchase their own Marching Band shoes. If you are new to Marching Band or need to replace your shoes, order shoes here. We will place our order as a group, to save on shipping. (Prices are subject to change slightly. Price shown is from last year and has not yet been confirmed by vendor for 2020-21.) Orders are due by July 28, 2020.
- $41 for orders placed BEFORE July 28.
- $55 for orders placed AFTER July 28 (includes additional shipping cost)
Shoes are available in both Men's and Women's sizes Medium and Wide. See order form for specific size availability.
You may pay for shoes online, or deposit cash/checks to the lockbox at school.
If you have any questions about your order or payment, please contact Lis Johnson at 404-587-8590 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions or concerns about the CCHS MARCHING BAND policies and expectations, you can find the band handbook Here.